Thursday, March 20, 2008

THE ANGRY SCREENWRITER. CAN YOU BLAME HIM?

HERE IS SOMETHING AMUSING I FOUND ON AMAZON TOIGHT. LOL. I READ JOE'S HOLLYWOOD ANIMAL AND FOUND IT HORRIBLE. 2 MILLION DOLLARS OR MORE TO WRITE SHOW GIRLS OR BASIC INSTINCT OR THE ALLEN SMITHIE BURN HOLLYWOOD BURN SCRIPT?! OMG!!! THE FRENCH NEW WAVE GUYS COULD HAVE MADE ONE OF THE MASTERWORKS OF THAT ERA FOR THAT [BREATHLESS, THE 400 BLOWS, JULES AND JIM ETC.]. HERE IS A REVIEW WRITTEN BY A JUSTIFIABLY ANGRY SCREENWRITER. HAHAHAHAHA:

I bought this book months ago and just now got around to reading it completely (I was too busy writing screenplays and reading other more interesting books). If you like reading irreverent gossip columns and enjoying a mindless chuckle while whoofing down your morning bowl of Frosted Flakes, then please, go ahead and check this book out at your local library. But I would advise against buying it. The author, crusty ol' Eszterhas, pretends to be an advocate for the screenwriter, but in acuality, despises them (along with 99.9% of humanity). He pawns off advice in his book, not actually expecting you to follow it, then when you do, he becomes sanctimonous and offended. For example, he states in his book that if you're a young screenwriter and not out hounding people, beating on windows `til you get arrested, then you're not doing your job. I did not take his advice literally, but I did venture to Bainbridge Township, Ohio to meet Eszterhas and ask him to look at my script. I met him in the parking lot of his church and politely introduced myself whereupon he called me disgusting! Now imagine my shock when the writer of Showgirls has the nerve to call me disgusting! The man who brags about his many affairs with married women calls me disgusting! Normally I would not tolerate being talked to in this manner but he had his young "grandson" with him.

Eszterhas writes a book, puts the name and location of his church in it, then doesn't expect writers like myself to show up. I find it ironic that a diseased-ridden old man who's lived his bitter booze-filled life treating people like dirt now finds religion, hoping to get into heaven. His life has become a cliché, much like the majority of the scripts he has written.


No comments: